Saturday with Santa

Mr. & Mrs. Claus

What is Saturday with Santa

Every year around Christmas time the Jenison thespians host a Saturday event, in the Jenison High School auditorium, for the whole community. In years previous the event was breakfast with Santa, due to covid this year’s event was different. The 2021 Saturday with Santa event featured cookie decorating, crafts, Christmas list writing, storytelling, and Santa himself! There was a huge turnout, and the community loved it. 

Why is this event held?

This event is done each year to not only provide a fun Christmas activity for the kids in the community but also to raise money for the Jenison High School theatre program. In light of the cause, the high school thespians dress as elves and do their best to play the part of Santa’s helpers. These high school students spend their Saturday doing crafts with kids, reading to them, and making cookies together. The children love to meet the real Santa Claus as well as his elves. 

Morgan Sprick reads a Christmas book for the children!

What was done well?

The parents on the BRAVO board did an excellent job organizing the event, the high school auditorium looked like the real Santa’s Workshop.  As soon as the doors opened the auditorium flooded with children and parents.  The little kids were able to make cookies with elves, listen to Christmas stories, tell Santa their Christmas list, and make snowflakes. Meeting Santa and decorating cookies were the most favored parts of the event. The excitement filled the room! Even with all the chaos, there was not a single decoration out of place or interruption! Children felt engaged and parents were grateful for an event close to home to take their families to.

Santa and Mrs. Claus, (Todd and Penny Avery) and his Elves (Jenison Thespians)!

What needs improvement?

Overall the Saturday with Santa event was done well! However, there were a few setbacks. The first is that there is currently a pandemic going on. In order to overcome this, everyone at the event wore masks. The only individuals that did not wear a mask were Santa and Mrs. Claus. There was also a cookie decorating station set up that was safe to start, however, as the event went on the protocols became less strict and created some cause for concern. As the room continues to fill there is only so much the high school students could do to ensure everyone followed the protocols. This could create some health concerns as covid cases are on the rise in West Michigan. A list of the rules should be somewhere visible in order to remind families of covid protocols while making cookies. 

Final thoughts

The event overall was a big success, Children and parents smiled the entirety of the Saturday! The Thespians even got the chance to raise funds for their program and future shows. Meeting Santa Claus and his elves were the most exciting part of the children’s weekend! The room was full of giggles and the magic of Christmas. Volunteers, parents, and kids would give the event a ten out of ten!