Teachers assign too much homework

As time goes on, teachers in school are giving out more and more homework to students of all ages. Students are becoming stressed because of homework. Homework is also causing students to have less time to spend with their friends and family. The worst part of this is that homework does not even help with raising a student’s GPA.

To benefit current students and all future students, there should be a change made. Homework should become an option for all students.

Why is too much homework bad?

First, teachers give too much homework. Students could be using their time exercising or socializing, instead of doing homework. The worst part is that a lot of homework is not even helpful to students. In fact, homework of this size can lower the student’s views of school and grades.

“The data shows that homework over this level is not only not beneficial to children’s grades or GPA,” said Donaldson-Pressman, co-author of The Learning Habit: A Groundbreaking Approach to Homework and Parenting that Helps Our Children Succeed in School and Life, “but there’s really a plethora of evidence that it’s detrimental to their attitude about school, their grades, their self-confidence, their social skills and their quality of life.”

Some people might argue that teachers give the right amount of homework. Having extra practice every night can strengthen a student’s grasp on a subject.

Second, students should be able to have a choice of if they do homework or not. This allows the student to decide if they want to or have time for extra practice. Homework causes a great amount of stress to most students. Thus, having the choice gives the student the ability to decide if ready for the work.

Denis Pope, author of Why this superintendent banned homework — and asked kids to read instead states, “…at Stanford University’s Graduate School of Education, we asked over 200,000 middle and high school students from high-performing schools, ‘Right now in your life, what, if anything, causes you the most stress?’ One of the most common responses was one word: ‘Homework.’”

The flawed logic in this is that most students would most likely not do the optional homework. Most, if not all kids want to relax and play.

Finally, teachers should not force students to learn outside of school. In school, students learn for 7 hours! Instead of always being slaves to school, students should be able to live their lives.

Clifton B. Parker, author of Stanford news, states, “In places where students attend high-performing schools, too much homework can reduce their time to foster skills in the area of personal responsibility, the researchers concluded. ‘Young people are spending more time alone,’ they wrote, ‘which means less time for family and fewer opportunities to engage in their communities.’”

Still, homework supporters might say students will learn better if they learn longer. Learning in school is not enough for a thorough comprehension of a subject.

Conclusion and solution

In conclusion, homework is not useful, and harms students. Homework can also cause stress in their life, and space them out from friends and family.

Homework has been a staple in the education system for a long time. It is coming to the point that teachers are giving out too much homework, and it is affecting the students. It is time to bring change to this for the benefit of society.