Class of 2022 anxieties and thoughts

Getty Williams

Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons licensebackground

The class of 2022 has started to prepare for the upcoming graduation. Many students are ready, others anxious or apprehensive. Students part of the class of 2022 offers their emotions, plans, and advice.

Emotions

Riley Britton, a JHS senior, spoke about her emotions about graduation. “I am very excited for graduation, I have loved high school but I am ready for a new adventure.” Many seniors share her excitement but others feel a little more apprehensive. Piper Fredrickson, also a current JHS senior spoke about that fear. “I’m excited about graduation while also being kinda nervous to be sort of “on my own” after high school ends. It’s scary to think about having to grow up and become an adult. All we’ve been taught and know is how to wake up go to school do homework repeat. We don’t know bills we don’t know financing we’re kinda on our own after we graduate.”

Daniel Pruitt, a former JHS graduate, offered his own past experience. ”I was a bit nervous but excited and ready to finish high school. There were still some bittersweet moments though, as I knew this would be the last time I saw many of these people.” When asked about how it felt being out of high school now he spoke about feeling liberated. “It feels good. The responsibilities can get overwhelming sometimes, but that’s what lists are for. Otherwise, the freedom you have to choose what you study and what you do for work is liberating.”

Mr. Arron Brossiet, a current JHS teacher of 25 years, spoke about the things he sees in his own senior students. “Publicly they are always excited. Privately many individuals will confess a little apprehension.”

Plans

Along with the feelings of graduation coming up so are plans for after. When asked about her plans, Piper was completely honest. “I have no clue what I’m doing after I graduate. I have an idea of what I want to do without actually knowing if it can happen.” For some seniors, that’s a shared feeling. Many are becoming stressed and panicked as we get closer and they haven’t figured out what they want to do. Others like Riley have things figured out and ready. “I’m going to Saginaw Valley State University to become an occupational therapist.”

Advice

No matter what emotions the seniors are having, graduation is coming up fast. Riley and Piper both shared advice for the underclassmen and next year’s seniors. Riley stated, “My advice for the underclassmen is to not procrastinate. Get your assignments done right away. Then you will not have to stress about getting everything done the night before.” Piper’s advice included, “Actually do your work and try. Be a good student and a good peer and you’ll make it through high school with little to no issues.”

Mr. Brossiets advice for this year’s graduating class included, “Be in the moment. Allow yourself to feel the complexity of the moment. It is both a beautiful and sad moment at the same time. Each student has worked very hard individually and collectively to achieve this accomplishment. It carries a bit of weight acknowledging the fact that there are people in your class that you may never see again. It is the first opportunity for young people to go in their individual directions.” Daniel also offered his advice for the class of 2022. “The biggest thing is to get a job and start saving. College expenses are no joke, and scholarships are unfortunately unreliable. Working while in college is extra stress that should be eliminated as much as possible. Don’t burn yourself out to make ends meet, save up now.”

To the class of 2022, as the year continues to go on and we get closer, remember how far you have come. Enjoy these moments as you start to step into the next big thing in your life. No matter if you know or don’t know what’s going to come next, are anxious or excited, graduation is coming up fast.