Onward Wildcats!

Onward Wildcats!

Onward wildcats, ever onward! Fight to victory! Green and white forever fighting here’s our cheer to thee! – Jenison Fight Song

Homecoming 2019: A Students Opinion

It is the year 2019, and time for homecoming week here at Jenison High School, and the preparations for the dance and the game are in full swing. I interviewed the seventeen-year-old senior, Micah Zondervan, on his opinions on this week, along with his opinions of the dance on September 28. The first questions I asked him was, “Do you like the game or the dance better and why?” His reply was, “the game because I like to hang out with my friends at the game, instead of staying in one place with one group while at the dance.”

the game because I like to hang out with my friends at the game, instead of staying in one place with one group while at the dance.

— Micah Zondervan

Another question I asked him was if he liked this years theme for homecoming. This years theme is Gameshows.

“I like the seniors’ theme. The juniors theme is weird.” was his reply.

To follow up on that question I asked him, “What are the seniors and the juniors themes?” It turns out the seniors’ theme is Wheel of Fortune, and the juniors are Supermarket Sweep.

Homecoming 2019: A Teachers Opinion

To get a teachers opinion on homecoming instead of only a students opinion, I asked Mr. VanTimmeren, he is a special education teacher. A question I asked him was the same question that I asked Micah Zondervan. “Do you like the game or the dance better and why?”

His reply was,

“The game because I like to watch sporting events.”

The final question I asked him was “What are your thoughts on the parade?” Mr. VanTimmeren said, “I think it is a good community event.” 

Along with the parade, the game, and the dance. Some alumni of Jenison came back on the 20th, the night of the game. Some of those who came back included the homecoming king and queen of 2018, JonJon Conflitti and Yei-Rin Han. They are both some of Jenison’s alumni thespians here at Jenison High School. Along with the alumni and students who go to Jenison High School, there where many other faces on the campus. Multiple elementary kids, teachers from different schools in the Jenison district. Not including parents of Jenison students, the elderly and babies.

Homecoming is the time for everyone who has gone or is still in school here to come back to their Wildcat roots. That is what the word homecoming means for me. It is time for everyone to come home to their Wildcat family and show their Jenison pride. Now, my fellow students, I hope you all have a good, fun-filled time celebrating our school, Jenison High and our 49 years and counting, of homecoming.

Reminders for this week:

1. Tickets for the dance are sold at all lunches Monday-Friday
  2. Guest passes are due on the 25th
  3. The dance is at 8:00-11:00 September 28
  4. Have a fun time