Kid Cat Game 2023

Kid Cat Game 2023

On September 8th at 7 p.m., Jension’s annual Kid Cat game kicked off. The Jenison community filled up the stands of Mackenzie Stadium. All excited to watch the game. The Jenison Football team played against Rockford that night.

The Kid Cat game invites kids of all grade levels and their families to come watch a varsity football game. It honors elementary students for a moment at the football game. It also gives the younger students their first impression of high school life.

Before the game, all elementary students went out onto the track. They high-fived and wished good luck to the players. “I like how I got to high-five all the football players with my friends.” Ainsley Winterburn, cub cheerleader.

Cub cheerleaders, grades third through sixth cheered with varsity cheerleaders on the sidelines. They would often go up to the cat pack and do call-back cheers.

They showed their new chants, tumbling, and stunts to their friends and family. “My favorite part of cheering was tumbling and stunting,” stated Ainsley Winterburn.

Varsity cheerleaders also helped the cub cheerleaders. they spotted and stunted them during the game. “I loved stunting. My stunt group has been practicing at school all week!” stated Ainsley Winterburn.

Although the varsity cheerleaders are their coaches. They are also people who they look up to. “My favorite part was coaching the cub cheerleaders and seeing their excited faces,” stated Molly Brew, Jenison Varsity cheerleader. The varsity cheerleaders coached cub cheerleaders all the way up to halftime. Right before halftime, the cub cheerleaders left to watch the rest of the game with friends or family.

During halftime, the Jenison band performed their halftime performance. It lasted around eight minutes. They played two songs during that time. Rhapsody In Blue and An American In Paris, both by George Gershwin. The color guard was also performing choreo, they had been learning for many months before the game. They used black, orange, and silver flags, mock rifles, and sabers. All within the 8-minute routine.

After halftime, the varsity cheerleaders cheered the rest of the game. They went to their normal spot, in front of the cat pack. They chanted and showed cool stunts and tumbling.

The theme for the Kid Cat game was Barbie. Almost everyone in the cat pack wore all pink. Many people wore pink some even wore Barbie outfits. The varsity cheer team was also wearing pink. Some had glitter and others wore pink leggings and bows. A few younger kids even dressed up in pink. “I took Barbie out theme very seriously,” stated Emerson Winterburn who was in the cat pack. The new theme was very popular this year.

The Kid cat game is a fun and important game many kids go to. The younger kids get a chance to shine, loving the spotlight.

It’s often many people’s favorite event of the year. Not only for younger students but also for upperclassmen and even adults! Although it may be a chaotic day it is many people’s favorite football game of the season.