The hat policy at Jenison Senior High

The hat policy at Jenison Senior High

The hat policy at Jenison Senior High is enforced, but modified slightly. Generations of students have gone through school, having to stick to the same rules. Students asked to take off their hats and pay attention to classwork. But now, Spirit days every Friday allow for wearing hats. But why not regular school days?

Teachers and staff share why hats are not allowed on regular school days. Along with their opinions on hats. A student’s shares their opinion on the hat policy and about its effect at Jenison Senior High.

Staff members at Jenison High take on the hat policy

According to the hat policy it is unprofessional to wear hats. Also that a school setting should not have casualties, such as hats. Dr. Leiter provides more information about the hat policy and the schools reasoning behind it.

“At Jenison, it has been a long-standing tradition that students are expected to dress for success. Part of that thinking is that an official school setting should not reflect the same attire as a casual setting.  When students are held to a higher standard, we see a higher performance in our classrooms.” Says Dr. Leiter.

If students are uncomfortable throughout their day, that could affect their performance. Though, some students find hats comfortable, and feel better when they wear hats. 

“I find that like a lot of stylistic and fashion trends that go through, there are kids that feel more comfortable with hats when they come to school, and I think that’s a big thing in the process of learning is to be able to be comfortable.” Says Mr. Formsma, a teacher here at Jenison High School, agreeing with the comfort of students. 

The Hat Policy has changed, in the most subtle ways. Is modifying the hat policy going to change anything here at Jenison though? One reason was brought to attention by Mr. Formsma, when asked if the hat policy should be modified.

“I’m not so sure you guys will buy into it. But the reason why they say no hats, one of the big reasons is because they can’t see your face on the cameras out in the hallway because it blocks the visual of seeing somebody’s face if something were to happen.” Mr. Formsma brings attention to this, making a good point at why the hat policy should not be modified too much. 

A students opinion on the hat policy

Hats aren’t the biggest distraction at Jenison. Some students say that there are more distracting articles of clothing, here at Jenison.

“If people can wear cat ears, then we should be able to wear hats.” Says Grace Feigel, a Jenison Senior High student, pointing out the contradiction of the dress code.

Students can testify that hats are not distracting to them and their peers. Though the administrators of the school can argue that hats don’t belong at school. There is a difference in the opinions of school administrators and the students themselves. 

Though students aren’t allowed to wear hats everyday, they have a midway option that is new this year at Jenison. Every Friday is a spirit day, it can offer more than getting to wear hats, it can offer to show more pride for our school. Although it is not every day, there is appreciation for the change.