Jenison’s students view on spirit weeks

Many Jenison students share their opinion of the spirit weeks that come throughout the year.
Spirit weeks are one of the most looked forward things in the school year. They give school a fun component and lets each person’s personality show through. 

I do not think they are a distraction to school. As long as the students are respecting the rules of dress code and all that then it should be fine.

— Chloe VanderKlok

Spirit weeks are super fun and a great way to take part in school spirit. Students look forward to these weeks all year especially homecoming spirit week. This year’s spirit week was a little different since our dance is the following weekend. When asking a senior, Laila Jenison if she liked spirit weeks she replied, “Yes of course. It gives students an excuse to show pride at school and a fun way to put yourself out there.” In most people’s opinions they have all agreed that spirit weeks are super fun. They are a great way to make a normal school day feel a little more fun. 
Most people would think that spirit days would be an excuse to be a distraction at school. After talking to many people they seem to disagree. A Junior, Chloe VanderKlok said this, “I do not think they are a distraction to school. As long as the students are respecting the rules of dress code and all that then it should be fine.”

Everyone has a favorite spirit day that they have seen at a different school that sticks with them all year. They are hoping it will come and once I talked to everyone, this day seemed to be Adam Sandler Day. A Junior, Charlotte Charles told me “This is my favorite spirit day for the upcoming spirit week. It is fun and a new thing that no one has ever done before and it is easy to do since it has been a trend.” In the past we have had some pretty cool spirit days including anything but a backpack day. Senior, Laila Jenison had said,” This was one of my favorite days. I loved how someone brought a kayak last year.” This spirit day returned for this year’s homecoming spirit week.
The final question I asked everyone was if they participated in spirit weeks. Spirit weeks are such a big thing at schools all around the US that so many people dress up for. Sophie Westmaas who is a junior here replied, “Yes, it is a fun way to show school spirit and be creative.” Sophie Westmaas’ response matched most of the responses I got. Spirit weeks are a very fun way to show your personality at school.
After talking to many people and hearing their opinion. We all can agree that spirit weeks are one of the best things to make the school day a little more fun