Open your eyes to leadership

Tanner Pratt, Staff Writer

Not many people know exactly what it takes to be a good leader or how to show what good sportsmanship really is. After just a few activities at a recent seminar hosted by Mona Shores, students from every school in our conference were invited to learn about what it takes to be a leader and how to show true good sportsmanship. After going to this, my mind has been open to a completely different way of looking at what is right and what is wrong to do.

One of the events that took place in this seminar included group case studies of specific conflicts. After reading the conflict you would then talk in groups of students you were paired with from all the other schools in our conference.

A lot of people think that sportsmanship is just being respectful to one another and the officials during the specific event you are either attending or participating in. But imagine a conflict happening. Put yourself in either the coaches shoes or your grandparents shoes and how they would feel. Even the officials. Try looking at an outbreak of arguments from their prospective.

Another type of activity that really showed the diversity of people that were at the seminar was the privilege walk. What would happen was everybody would line up in one long line, and the leaders of the seminar would then ask simple of questions about items that we have or didn’t have. This showed how some people may be treated based off of what they have and not who they are.

The one thing I noticed the most was that the students there representing Jenison were either in the middle or toward the front of the group. So for those of you reading this, most of you should be thankful for what you have because what you don’t realize is that you are at the moment in the top 2% of wealth in the world.

Overall this seminar was very well put together and for those who are asked to go to the one that will occur next you, I suggest you go. It will really change the way you think.

Open your eyes to leadership