Starting something new

Leah DeRitter, Staff Writer

The Jenison High School seniors graduated on June 1, 2017. With approximately 365 students graduating, there was not one empty seat left in the stands. This was a very big day for many of the students and one they will remember for the rest of their lives.

“Graduation is a significant moment for seniors,” says Ben DeRitter, former graduate of JHS. “They all accomplished something very important that they worked hard at.”

While students are happy to be done with school, some are sad about leaving. “I’m going to miss seeing all of my teachers everyday and all of the inspiration they gave me. I will also miss my underclassmen friends and people in my grade who made waking up at 6:00 everyday not so bad,” says Madeline Holland, senior at JHS.

All of the teachers wore a long black gown, and each had a different color sash hanging around their neck-depending on what they majored in and what college they attended. The teachers sat in a big circle surrounding the students, where they congratulated them as they walked by.

“The teachers at JHS were very encouraging and supportive during my journey of high school.  I was able to develop valuable relationships with some of them that I will cherish forever,” says Hannah DeRitter, senior at Jenison.

This year, the valedictorian was Peyton Benac and the salutatorian was Brianne VanDyke. Both are very intelligent and involved students who worked very hard to get where they are today.

Following graduation, a majority of the seniors went on the senior getaway. The senior getaway is an all-nighter located at a spot that was unknown until they arrived. This year, they went to Celebration Cinema North, where they had all sorts of games and activities to do. They also saw the new movie Wonder Women, which was enjoyed by many.

“The senior getaway is a perfect way to end graduation.,” says Hannah DeRitter. “It gives us a chance to be with our classmates one last time before we all move on to bigger, better things.”

• Starting something new

Showcase

Come see Radium Girls!

• Starting something new

Showcase

Students meet at Hope College to discuss and experience cultural diversity

• Starting something new

Spotlight

Welcoming Miss Gryniewicz to Jenison

• Starting something new

Sports

Jenison football battle against Mona Shores Sailors

• Student Life

Grammys for Jenison actors

• Starting something new

Showcase

JHS sophomores celebrate with a pride party

• Starting something new

Showcase

Jenison Memorial Day Parade

• Starting something new

Spotlight

Blake Kunzi leading in the pool and the classroom

• Student Life

A trip to never forget

• Starting something new

Showcase

The class of 2017’s final spirit week

Starting something new