Back to back

Blake Kunzi, Staff Writer

After an impressive 5-3 win against Northview on Friday, May 26, Jenison baseball improved their already impressive record to 33-2, and a perfect 18 for 18 in conference.

Jenison had one of their closer games Friday against a very good Northview team. Northview came in with a very respectable record of 21-8. Junior Derryk Vanderjagt started for the Wildcats at pitcher.

Northview got out to an early 1-0 lead after a two out single brought a guy from second home. Jenison couldn’t answer and was behind 1-0 until the fourth.

Northview managed to scrape in a run during the top of the fourth inning. Northview’s lead didn’t last long though. In the bottom half of the fourth senior Jafet Cruz started Jenison’s scoring with a two run homerun to left field. That sparked Jenison’s offense and gave the team energy. The very next batter senior Jonas Smith cranked a no doubter to right field. Just like that Jenison had the 3-2 advantage.

Derryk Vanderjagt continued on his great season by letting in just two runs through four solid innings. Jonas Smith came in to relieve Vanderjagt to start the fifth. Jonas pitched a solid first inning, allowing just one base runner.

Jension’s offense didn’t manage to score any runs in the fifth but still held a 3-2 lead over Northview.

Smith came out for his second straight inning and let in one run. Northview doubled with one out, and later had a solid single up the middle which scored one. That tied the game up 3-3.

The tie didn’t last long as Jenison came out swinging in the sixth. After junior Carter Chylek outran a double play which would’ve ended the inning. Instead a run scored during the play, and senior John Huistra added an RBI later that inning.

Jenison came up with two big runs which gave them a 5-3 lead. Northview still had a chance to make Jenison bat again. Junior Taylor Witteveen came in to close the game for Jenison. He pitched a great one, two, three inning, with two strikeout and one groundout to end the game.      

• Back to back

Sports

Varsity soccer conference matchup between Fruitport and Jenison ends in a nail biter

• Back to back

Sports

Jenison tops Fruitport in rainy conditions

• Back to back

Sports

Wildcats overcome first half struggles to top Reeths-Puffer

• Back to back

Sports

Jenison volleyball starting off strong

• Back to back

Sports

Jenison football battle against Mona Shores Sailors

• Back to back

Sports

Last tournament for the Jenison Tennis Team

• Back to back

Sports

Jenison girls water polo loses in overtime thriller

• Back to back

Sports

Jenison freshman Tori Vander Veen amazes many

• Sports

Girls track and field team crowned conference champs

• Sports

Jenison softball team, heartbreaking loss

Back to back