Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 review

Tyler DeVries, Student Writer

The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are one of the newest Marvel Comics movie series. The first movie was well regarded for its witty and charming humor, while keeping an intriguing story line backed by iconic songs.

Although the second movie was still quite good, I do not think it is even on the same level as the first movie in the series. The humor was forced at times, and the introduction of Star Lord’s father seemed too soon.

Volume 2 of this movie should have gone deeper into the past life of Star Lord before adding his dad to the mix. The connection that you usually have between a character is normally felt stronger when a past conflict (father) is resolved, but no such connection was felt during this movie.

If the creators of Guardians of the Galaxy gave a different mission in the second movie and foreshadowed his conflicts with growing up without a father, the introduction of the father in the third movie would have been much more impactful.

The same type of humor was used in the second movie as in the first except it seemed a little more childish. An example is when Rocket makes fun of a character for a self proclaimed nickname of Taserface. This would have been fine if it was brief but the argument between the characters lasted minutes and seemed excessive.

This series had max potential after the first movie, but was slightly dampered by the second movie. This movie was still a very entertaining addition to the Guardians of the Galaxy series, but I believe it could have been done much better.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 review