Safety first – masks required

October 7, 2020

“6 feet distance” and “masks required” are new phrases that we have to add to our everyday vocabulary. 2020 is a year filled with unexpected ups and downs, that no one knows how to go through. There is a lot of change going on around our world due to coronavirus. We can no longer plan ahead anymore because we never know when we will have to go back into quarantine. No more large gatherings such as assemblies at school or even going to sporting events. Wearing a mask is one of the biggest changes that we must go through. Any time you go out in public, including school, you have to wear a mask covering your nose and mouth.

Staying focused in school is always tough to do for students. There are a lot of distractions especially when it is hot in the fall and spring months. Sitting in school when it is 90 degrees is a  big distraction, but when students and teachers have to wear a mask, it makes things that much harder. It is not easy to adjust to wearing a mask. Sometimes you need to adjust the position of it on your face, it itches your nose, or when you talk and some people can not understand you. Molly Siler says, “I don’t like wearing masks because it’s distracting and difficult to understand others,” but anytime you are in the school building you must wear a face mask to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Why Wear a Mask?

There are pros and cons to wearing masks. They might be uncomfortable and annoying but first and foremost, they are there to keep us safe. Some students at Jenison do not dislike masks as much as others do. “I honestly don’t mind wearing a mask, I know that it is helping to keep myself and my family and everyone else safe and it really doesn’t bother me that much,” said Ella Uganski. 

Pros and cons aside, we have to follow the rules that our leader gives us. A prime example of this is Jason Veeneman who says, “

I don’t like wearing masks but I will do what I have to

— Jason Veeneman

.”

It might take some time, but we have to keep adjusting to this new normal. We must do what we are told so that this pandemic can come to an end.  Wearing masks helps keep us in school and continue to do the things that we enjoy. Teachers try their best to take their classes outside to learn or just go for a walk to give them a break from wearing the masks. Many classes sit on the grass or go to our new outdoor classrooms under a tent. This is nice especially when it is hot but students can only take their masks off if they stay 6 feet apart from one another.  We may never return to the way things used to be prior to 2020, so we have to make the most of it right now. 

The Wildcat Roar • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in