Homecoming victory

It was Friday night September 20. Parents, students, teachers, grandmas, grandpas, aunts, and uncles in the town of Jenison gathered to the football stadium to watch the annual homecoming game.

The Jenison Wildcats battled it out against the Reeths Puffer rockets for the battle to victory.

During the game, activities going on such as the float building contest and the crowning of homecoming king and queen.

The floats had come out and everyone crossed their fingers that their grade would win. Finally when the judges

had made there picks the Freshman took first,  Juniors took second, Sophomores took third, and finally, the Seniors took fourth.

By this time the homecoming court had made there way to the football field and the seniors, waiting with curiosity wondering who would win the crown to be the next king or queen. Rachel Russo and Matt Huizinga’s name came from the overcome to be the next homecoming king and queen and the crowd, roaring with joy for them clapped with integrity.

Being in the cat-pack is a great experience as a high school student.  Everyone gets each other hyped up even if it looks like the game will not go well. During the homecoming game, everyone stayed super loud and did not want to let the football team down for a second. The theme for the game was Jenison pride. The students came prepared they all wore green and white, some even painted their body green. The students in Jenison high school have lots of pride and passion for their school and this game goes to show the drive everyone has. The gates opened at 5:30 and there were high school students waiting to get in to ensure they would get a good spot. In the cat-pack, there are four senior guys who lead it and they never disappoint to always have some type of cheer or chant.

“Being in the cat-pack gives all the grades a chance to come together and get a chance to know each other. This is also a great way to make new friends.”- Ellie Mott

Being down on the track you whether you cheer, take pictures or are a water girl you get the sense of community in Jenison. When you see the home stands filled with people cheering the football team to victory it gives you a show of how much the community supports each other.

“Being a cheerleader gives you a chance to not only lead on the cat-pack you get to experience the game at a whole new level.” -Mary Persak

In the game, you could feel the sensation of bodies piling on

top of each other fighting to get the ball. Then in the 4th quarter when the Wildcats took the victory. When that clock hits zero you could taste the sweet victory in the air. You could hear the roar of excitement in the game.

When the students met the team down on the field to congratulate them of their victory you could smell the blood sweat and tears the boys had put into this game.

Some of the team then told me that the offense was on fire and everyone fought with passion and even when it got rough no one gave up, and that led to the blood rushing feeling of victory.

“Jenison football gives you a sense of family these boys are not only my friends they are my brothers. We battle every game with our heart and souls.”-Kaden Buchholz

This game was a huge accomplishment not only for the team but for the whole community of Jenison. Everyone was so proud of the team and our community. It hits close to home when you see everyone in the community gather together in one place for not only the football game but everything included in the whole homecoming experience.

The Wildcat Roar • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in